9.11.2006

Getting on my Soapbox

It's not a good thing when you've already been drunk and are progressing toward hung-over by 8pm, but then, that's what Soapbox is about.

This was my third year in attendance at the derby, and probably my least favorite. Not that it wasn't fun, but as many reported The Man was cracking down this year. The sorest casualty was The Gauntlet, where after the winners have been decided, all remaining cars go down the hill at once. With competitive races limited to three cars suddenly bloating to 40+, it was the surefire way to see someone eat pavement. But some whinny bastard spectator decided to file a lawsuit last year when they were injured. BOO HOO! Let's run this down: People who enjoy hurdling themselves, brakeless, down hills in heavy vehicles, while DRUNK - and there's 40 of them... you think this is a SAFE environment?!? HELL NO! Just being a spectator at soapbox is to put your ass on the line. Take that lawyer money and invest it in a membership at Bally's so next time you can jump the fuck out of the way.

ANYway.

I found this pic of one of the fan favorites. I'm stealing it because the photographer is much better than me.



I also found a decent video of the day's events. These people have such fast turn around.

-Thank you for reading.

p.s. So, today is 9/11. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but I suppose it should be. I wouldn't feel so bad having a day of remembrance from it if the event wasn't so symbolic of a painful downturn in our society.

No comments: