7.09.2007

I see dead people

The Body Worlds exhibit has been in Portland for a while now and like pretty much everyone I was fighting between my curiosity and my thrifty nature. Well, I finally convinced myself that they were never going to lower the ticket price, and it's the kind of thing I should see at least once.

Totally worth it.

I first found myself fascinated by the brain slices. It's like an MRI printout... but with real brain. I was staring at them intently and for the first time in my life, really wondered about issues of our own consciousness. When you look at it and just see this gray mass, it makes no sense how we think and dream and all that crap.



Then I saw the blood vessel structures... amazing. You're literally looking at something - let's say rooster - and it's nothing but veins and arteries and capilaries. It's in the right shape, but it's just blood.




I was also pretty interested in the organs. In general, everything is smaller than you think it's going to be... except the liver. That thing is enormous. Like 3 pounds. And after the last two weeks, mine's probably even bigger. By the way, if you ever needed a reason to stop smoking...



For all the small things that were fascinating, there's no understating the overwhelming presence of the entire exhibit. You walk into this one room and there's a fucking zombie camel just like ::BAM:: right in your face. You can get right up to a lot of these bodies - and I did. Like sharing air with them... well, you know. I spent most of my time walking around with my arms clenched around my torso - half bracing myself to keep cool and academic about the whole thing, and half because there were just so many people that I kept bumping into everyone. And I worried that I would bump into one of the bodies. They look like they're planted pretty solid, but when you get up close, you can see limbs and the tendons shaking ever so slightly.

All told, an amazing thing to see - but I think I'll skip Body Worlds 4. Unless they bring a llama or something...

- Thank you for reading

No comments: