3.16.2005

In the clear

Rituals are something I'm short on but I treasure the few I have. Which is why this morning was so special. I've been sick since Saturday and when I'm sick I play the part by not shaving (similar symptoms occur during bad break-ups). But this morning when I woke after a night of peaceful, non-sweat-soaked sleep without the aches of a diseased body, I knew I was in the clear. So I took my shower and then had the best shave I've had in months.

I'd never call what I have a "beard." It's too sparse to be anything other than scruff. But after a week (yes, a week) it's long enough to feel heavier when wet and itch like the dickens. Shaving it off marks the physical transition from sick to well, dirty to clean and it puts a tangible end to my infermity.

And then the coffee. Mmmm. Out of respect for my body, I forego coffee while ill - and that's no easy thing for me. I one of those people who works at a coffee shop primarily for the free coffee. I've met baristas that don't drink the stuff and they're just off their rocker. Unless they're like recovering coffee-holics and go to support groups and shit. Maybe then. But I'd probably still think they were pussies for quitting.

Anyway, my coffee this morning was delicious. I've made the permanent decision to french-press all my coffee and fully realize my snobbery. But the best part is how hard it hits you. Flushing out the system for three-days really increases that caffeine jolt. So now my hands are shaking, my brain is buzzing and my tounge is going bitter because coffee is breakfast and food doesn't come 'til lunch.

Everything's back to normal. Thank you for reading.

No comments: