3.23.2005

Movies and Music

I just saw Gunner Palace last night. Interesting documentary about a group of soldiers in Iraq. There isn't any great message, it's just a testament of what these real people are going through. It's both dramatic and funny - much funnier than one might expect. And while it IS a movie, it's more real than anything else you see on the news. I went with a friend of mine who popped up out of my past about six months ago. Now we're begninng to get to know each other in new light and maybe kissing occassionally. So that's nice and slightly weird. Mostly because the last time she was part of my life, I was dating her best friend and she was dating mine. Odd. But that was a teenage lifetime ago...

And I found out one of my favorite bands is coming to town on tour for their second album. alaska! is a band I discovered opening for Elliot Smith on one of his last tours. At that time, the band was just two guys beautifully harmonizing over acoustic guitars. The haunting result has never really left my head. Since then, they've rocked it up a bit with, in my opinion, successful result. I was just listening to some streams off the new record and it sounds like they've gone even a little more mainstream, but I'm still excited to see them soon. And it's a great thing for me to go do with the aforementioned lady.

Thank you for reading.

No comments: