3.10.2005

A singular existence

I just concluded an evening with one of my favorite new people, Catherine. She is one of two completely platonic female friends that have recently entered my life and I enjoy her very much. Primarily, we watch the O.C., which was done tonight, but we also walk her dog and discuss issues of the opposite sex. During our evening's O.C.ing, the other C.P.F.F., Kristen came by. What a pleasure to have them together. I know enough about myself to observe that I seek out more girl friends than men. But in cases like this where there is absolutely no pretense or subtext in the relationship, I feel truly fulfilled.

Earlier this evening, when I was amusing Catherine during her solo shift at work, one of my familiar customers/neighborhood personalities came into the video store. I commonly refer to her as "Sad Lonely Woman" because she strikes me as someone who is profoundly lonely. She isn't young, but you wouldn't assume she's a grandmother, which she is. She always wears white or off-white and blue Dansko clogs. Being one who spends a lot of time in the Northwest neighborhood, I often see her walking - more pacing - from place to place. Tonight she passed the video store at least five times before entering. After noticing me, we talked for a brief while as she eyed films in the children's section. I'm not sure if she was actually drawn there, or if it's merely closer to where I was sitting. She is so obviously craving attention and contact it's heartbreaking. Because she seems to be a pleasant woman. But as with all deperate people, she has a stink about her that you want to avoid even if you're curious about it.

She and I actually spoke tonight, while at the video store not renting anything. Her name is Holly. I want to know why she is this way. Why she seems so sad and isolated. In a way, I can guess at a path that could take me to her place and my desire to avoid that would have me learn from her mistakes.

No comments: